Week 6: Girl Fight Comics

Girl Fight Comics

These were really a product of their time. Like a lot of early comics, things were spelled out the whole time, leaving really no implications of any sort- you are always told directly what is happening, and the plot moves very quickly. The subject matter (feminism, sisterhood, etc.) and fashion are indicative of the time period as well.


Although I love 70s fashion and feminism, I didn't particularly enjoy this piece. It was interesting, but I didn't like how women were portrayed. I think it was the intention of the writer to portray women as equals to men, but I didn't like how it was done. These women acted like men, which I found to be pretty unrealistic. They were quick to turn to violence and were very capable fighters (not to say women can't be strong) and they were very sexually forward to the point of harassment. I understand why the writer chose to do this but I don't think we need to embrace man's worse qualities to prove we're equals. Although, maybe this bold portrayal was necessary to shake things up a bit when it came to gender roles. These women are the stark opposite of 1950s housewives, so it must've been shocking to see women in this light.

Although this was supposed to be a feminist piece, it seemed to be written and drawn for the male gaze. I understand you have to keep people interested, but the women were still drawn as sexual objects to a certain degree, and how does that aid the feminist agenda? Maybe because women can be both sexy and powerful.

Comments

Popular Posts