Week 14: Webcomics

I only started reading webcomics regularly about a year ago with Lore of Olympus on Webtoons. Now I read them weekly and even pay to read my favorites. My first experiences with comics began with manga, more specifically Sailor Moon. I fell in love with the art style, and would even stay up late ALL the time as a child trying to copy the drawings.

One major difference that comes to mind when comparing physical comics at the book store and webcomics is the rate at which a story can be taken in. In my experience, webcomics are usually a weekly affair, where one chapter is released at a time. This can be agonizing, especially for someone like me, who obsesses over stories I like. Traditional comics on the other hand, are released annually. I can compare the two mediums to drinking water- with webcomics I am able to sip the story a little at a time, and traditional comics give me the opportunity to somewhat gorge myself before the drought. I think I prefer to gorge myself.

Another difference between the two formats is quality. Webcomics are cool because they offer more story tellers to reach a larger audience, and they don't even need to be that great at drawing! This is beneficial for the reasons I stated, but as an artist myself, and someone who fell in love with comics because of the beautiful drawings of Naoko Takeuchi, I do crave aesthetically pleasing comics! Not to say all webcomics fall short, but it's a time crunch to put out content every week. I think this is remedied in Lore of Olympus because of the stylization of the aesthetic. Certain things like anatomy are sacrificed but it doesn't bug me enough to stop reading by any means.




Comments

Popular Posts